During the past several years, the Yerkes Research Center has undertaken an extensive strategic planning process to best position us for continued success in our research programs. Listed below are the Center's vision, mission and values, all of which drive our commitment to advancing science and improving health.
Stuart Zola, PhD, Director
Yerkes Research Center Vision
To be recognized nationally and internationally as a leading center for both basic and applied research that involves our nonhuman primate colony and other animal species strategically in the service of humanity.
Yerkes Research Center Mission
The Yerkes National Primate Research Center conducts essential basic science and translational research to advance scientific understanding and to improve the health and well-being of humans and nonhuman primates. We provide leadership, training and resources to foster scientific creativity, collaboration and discoveries. Yerkes-based research is grounded in scientific integrity, expert knowledge, respect for colleagues, an open exchange of ideas and compassionate, quality animal care.
Yerkes Research Center Values
- Stewardship is the core of what we do, from being active partners in the global conservation and sustainability efforts to protecting our research animals and environment. Ultimately, we are responsible to the public trust.
- Excellence: We nurture individual brilliance in an environment of cutting-edge technology and resources to enable pioneering discoveries. Working passionately, we seek creative and innovative scientific solutions to fundamental problems in human and animal health.
- Integrity: We are committed to exceeding the highest ethical standards in all aspects of our work. As such, we expect from ourselves and offer to the public nothing less than honesty, integrity and accountability.
- Collegiality: We foster a community where caring and fairness result in a genuine expression of collegiality. Our commitment to such teamwork and cooperative relationships accentuates our role as leaders.
- People: We respect diversity and the unique contributions members of the Yerkes community offer. The development of Yerkes employees, personally and professionally, through all stages of education and employment is a priority.